Buy as much or as little as you need.
Our bulk department is really where GreenStar got started. After all, we got our start as “the Grain Store,” so lately it’s been fun to watch the other grocery chains try to pick up on our lead. In quality and quantity, GreenStar’s bulk department still wins hands down.
Everyone wins big in Bulk because Bulk is just better buying: It reduces wasteful packaging, and it’s a great way to save money without sacrificing quality. You can purchase only the amount you need so it’s always fresh. All of these reasons are why it’s less expensive to buy from bulk.
GreenStar still has the largest Bulk department in Central New York, and might even be in contention for the state title as well. Next time you are in our stores, take a look as the sheer variety of products you can purchase in bulk. True to our roots, we will order anything you can’t find here.
You can buy as much or as little as you need, so you can experiment with new products without making a big commitment. Make it a mission to try something new every time you shop, that’ll keep you busy for a while, because…
Why shop in Bulk?
- There’s no wasteful packaging.
- Much of our bulk section is organically grown.
- Everything is totally fresh; we refill our bulk bins daily.
- You save money because you’re not paying for advertising or for fancy packaging.
What do we offer?
You name it: rice, grains, sweeteners, oils, vinegars, nut butters, honey, pasta, soup mixes, beans, flours, cereals, trail mixes, dried fruits, nuts and seeds. And don’t forget candy and we even have granola.
We also have bulk herbs, spices, soaps and shampoos. We sell fresh bulk teas and coffee too.
We have containers for everything. Everything you need is right there next to the bulk items. If you can’t find it, just ask a staff person for directions for assistance.
How To Shop In Bulk:
- Weigh any containers you brought from home and write down their weight (the tare weight) first, so our cashiers can deduct that from the weight of the product. Congratulate yourself. You are really cutting down on packaging!
- Otherwise, fill the bag provided in our Bulk section (or use a container that we sell) with the item in the amount you want. Congratulate yourself on how you will reuse that bag or container…
- Write down the PLU number marked on the bin on a twist tie or label or right on the bag itself if possible. Tip: write down what it is, to help identify it next time you reach for it.
- Go shop some more or just check out. Whee!