GreenStar’s Ends Statements
The Purpose of GreenStar Cooperative Market:
– to Nurture a constructive, dynamic, and supportive cooperative community, and a culture of shared purpose and respect among people of diverse backgrounds.
– to Foster cooperative attitudes, cooperative ownership as an alternative economic model, collaboration among cooperatives and like-minded businesses, and engagement with the larger co-op movement.
Local, Democratic Control
– to Ensure local, democratic control of the cooperative through open participation in and transparent governance of a member-owned retail food store.
Good Food, Plus
– to Provide wholesome, healthy, affordable and ethical food choices, as well as quality goods and services to support a healthy lifestyle.
– to Make a meaningful contribution toward ecological sustainability, including a zero-carbon footprint and increased local and regional food self-reliance.
– to Ensure that its members and shoppers can learn about cooperatives, food, regional and community-based food systems, health, sustainability and social justice.
– to Show by example that a successful business can be an empowering and safe work environment, committed to fair treatment of both people and animals, and dignity and non-discrimination for all, including those whose labor produces and provides the goods carried by the Co-op.