We are looking for energetic and personable individuals to join our natural foods cooperative to help provide our wholesome, quality products in an atmosphere of great service. GreenStar Co-op is committed to being an inclusive organization free from discrimination. We seek out and welcome people from diverse communities to participate in a community-owned cooperative business structure.
This Job Posting section provides information about positions that you can apply for at GreenStar. If there are no jobs listed here you can still submit an application to have on file.
Employment - Job Postings
Friday, 17 April 2015 16:23
Apply by: May 1. 2015
GREENSTAR PRODUCE DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT
Purpose: To assist the Produce Department Manager in selecting, pricing and merchandising the produce department, and to provide prompt, friendly, courteous customer service.
Commitment: “GreenStar Co-op is committed to being an inclusive organization free from discrimination. We seek out and welcome people from diverse communities to participate in a community-owned cooperative business structure”
Status: Report to Produce Dept. Manager (PDM)
Level: Assistant - $13.30 hourly for a 40 hour work week, plus depending on experience
I. PRODUCE DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT
- Place orders with suppliers as directed by Produce Dept. Mgr.
- Ensure lack of gaps in availability
- Ensure a great selection of various produce items
- Ensure competitive pricing
- Ensure cost of produce item is best available at time of purchase
- Receive orders or ensure proper receiving by other staff in accordance with established procedures
- Coordinate returns and credits from suppliers where applicable
- Stay on top of price changes as they appear in order to maintain proper margin
- Stock produce following guidelines set by the PDM
- Uphold produce stocking/merchandizing and other established rules set by PDM
- Prioritize stocking needs for member labor; and produce employees when necessary
- Assist staff on floor when assistance needed
- Throughout shift walk through department i.e. check in periodically
- In absence* of PDM, Produce Department Assistant (PDA) replies to emails and department questions
- In absence of PDM, PDA handles any issues with coverage or otherwise necessary management of employee, department and/or professional matters that can be handled without express consent of PDM.
- If presented with an item to enter into system, item must be entered (if item does not enter correctly then please notify PDM)
- Ensure adherence to product prohibitions and restrictions (see Policy Book Appendix 3).
*absence entails PDM days off, vacation, sick, or otherwise absence from Green star Cooperative premises
A. Plan and maintain attractive produce displays
B. Ensure shelves are fully stocked rotated and culled to ensure freshness
C. Ensure accurate, up-to-date price labeling of department items
D. Ensure accurate, up-to-date Country of Origin labeling of department items
III. CUSTOMER SERVICE
A. Assist customers with product questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary
B. Offer samples, suggestions for purchases and ways to prepare products
C. Help customers place special orders
D. Provide product information to customers and staff
E. Provide prompt, friendly, courteous customer service
IV. DEPARTMENT MAINTENANCE
A. Coordinate storage of items to be returned to suppliers. See that unsalable items are properly disposed of. Keep accurate shrinkage records
SUPERVISORY- For Lead Stockers and Stockers
- Interview applicants with PDM
- Ensure on-the-job training and coaching to build an effective department.
- Participate in performance evaluations with PDM.
- Take disciplinary action as needed, following established policies, with knowledge and support of PDM.
A. Perform other tasks assigned by PDM
Follow GreenStar safety rules, assist other employees in safety needs, report unsafe equipment and conditions, assist with safety training needs, participate in safety training programs, assist with accident investigation, and perform other tasks as assigned to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- oMinimum two years experience purchasing produce products
- oMinimum two years supervisory experience
- oFamiliarity with produce (retail, wholesale, commercial growing) and industry trends
- oOrganized, attention to detail
- oCommunication skills -- good listener, able to give clear instructions
- oExperience serving the public
- oFamiliarity with at least one computer database and one spreadsheet program.
- oDemonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- oDemonstrated ability to handle multiple demands and stay calm
- oAbility to lift 50 pounds
Our shelves are loaded with new local products —applesauce, apple butter, apple cider vinegar, coffee, chips, and kraut!
Would you like to check out our new local offerings? Littletree Orchards is now providing us with applesauce, delectable apple butter, and apple cider vinegar! Red Jacket Orchards, whose juices you may know and love (check them out if you're not yet a...