Fresh, Local & Organic Within Everyone’s Reach.
FLOWER means more people in our community coming together and supporting a dynamic locally owned co-operative committed to offering healthier food choices, promoting social justice and protecting the planet.
With FLOWER, everyone benefits – Our community, our co-op and our planet. To qualify for the 15% FLOWER discount, you must currently receive assistance from one of the following programs:
- Food Stamps
- TANF – Cash Assistance
- Free School Lunch Program
- Healthy Food For All
If you’ve never been a GreenStar member, you will receive a one year, free trial membership. To continue your membership after the first year, you can do so by paying a $5 annual member equity requirement until you reach the full membership requirement of $90.
For more information, contact Alexis Alexander or call the Membership Department at 607-273-2507, ext. 234.
What do I receive?
A 13% FLOWER discount, added to the 2% discount that all member-owners receive, for a total discount of 15% on most items.
For those who have never been a GreenStar member-owner before, a free trial membership, good for one year.
Do I need to join GreenStar before I apply?
Nope. If you’ve never been a member and you qualify for FLOWER, you will receive a one year free trial membership.
Your membership card will be mailed to you with your FLOWER qualification letter.
How do I qualify for the program?
GreenStar member-owners whose memberships are up to date qualify for FLOWER if they currently receive assistance from one of the following programs:
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
- TANF—Cash Assistance
- Free School Lunch Program
- Healthy Food for All (HFFA)
How do I apply?
- Applications are available at all store locations or online here.
- Your completed application must be turned in at the Customer Service Desk of our West End store, along with your qualifying paperwork (see below) and Proof of Identification (e.g. driver’s license or a government issued ID card).
- Applications take approximately two weeks to process. You will be sent a letter indicating whether you qualify for the program.
What documents are needed to prove current eligibility?
- Food Stamps: Budget Sheet or a Legal Notice of Eligibility that states the time period that the Food Stamps are approved for. Please note that a Food Stamps card alone is not sufficient to show current Food Stamps eligibility.
- TANF Cash Assistance: Budget Sheet or a Legal Notice of Eligibility that states the time period that assistance is approved for.
- WIC: WIC Card and Current Active WIC Check [Not: both are required]
- Medicaid: Current Awards Letter [letter can not be dated more than one year ago]
- Free School Lunch Program: Qualification Letter for current school year
- Healthy Food For All program: Qualification letter for the current year
How long does the FLOWER discount last?
- The FLOWER discount lasts for one year. Program participants need to reapply annually.
- You will receive a letter one month before your FLOWER discount expires reminding you to reapply.
- If you were new to GreenStar at the time you applied for FLOWER, your GreenStar membership will also need to be renewed at that time. The renewal payment is $4 per year, which can be made at any register.
Who can use my GreenStar membership and FLOWER discount?
- Your membership, like all GreenStar memberships, is an individual membership, good for one adult. This means that your membership is only for you to use. If other adults use your membership, you will lose your eligibility for the 13% FLOWER discount.
- If there is another adult in your household and they qualify for a FLOWER discount, they will need to join and obtain their own membership. If they do not qualify for the FLOWER discount, they can still join, but they will only receive the regular 2% membership.
Are there products that don't receive a FLOWER discount?
- GreenStar has four special low price sales programs – BASICS, Member Deals, Co-op Deals & Flash Sales. Items in these programs do not receive any discount.
- Sushi, Alcohol, Milk, Butter, Eggs and non-refrigerated bread (except Tribeca bread) receive a 2% discount since these products are sold at the lowest prices possible (please note that the 2% only applies to dairy milk that you drink. Milk products such as cheese, yogurt and ice cream, and nondairy milks such as soy, rice and almond milk, do receive the full 15% discount)