What is Membership?
Since the beginning, GreenStar's mission focused on making nutritious, whole food available to its members. But membership means more than just access to good, healthy food...
When you join the Co-op you become a Member-Owner of a locally-owned and cooperatively operated values-based business. We focus on the social and environmental impact GreenStar makes on our local and global community, as well as economic performance. We put our values first, and return all profits back to the Co-op or donate them to the community.
One Member – One Vote means your voice truly counts!
Like all consumer co-ops, GreenStar is owned and democratically run by the people who use the store. Unlike traditional corporations where the amount of a stockholder's investment determines his or her voting power, every member at GreenStar has equal voting rights. As a Member-Owner, you have an equal say in the future direction of GreenStar.
By investing and participating in your co-op, you're putting your values into action.
Through your Equity Share investment and patronage, GreenStar supports the health and well-being of our member-owners, our community and the planet by:
- Purchasing from local farmers and businesses
- Paying a livable wage
- Using clean energy and recycled office supplies
- Supporting organic agriculture and fair trade producers
- Offering health insurance to employees
- Donating to local charities and events
- Providing education on nutrition, health and sustainability
- Improving access to healthy food to those on limited budgets through the FLOWER program
Joining is easy and only takes a few minutes! Fill out an application at any cash register at either store, or at the Customer Service Desk at the West-End store. See below for payment options. Contact the Membership Manager for more information.
All GreenStar memberships are individual memberships, good for one adult and dependent children under 18 years of age. Spouses, partners and other adults are not eligible to use your membership.
Your Equity Share investment of $90 helps GreenStar support local farmers, artisans, businesses and a number of worthy community programs and events. We keep our Equity Share low and have different payment plans to make member-ownership affordable.
- Option 1: Pay $90 in full plus a $1.00 processing fee
- Option 2: Pay over 10 consecutive years -- $9.00 equity plus $1.00 processing fee each year
- Option 3: If you are over 65 years of age, differently-abled or low income, you may pay $4.00 equity plus $1.00 processing fee each year until you reach $90 equity
If you pay in installments, you may pay the membership off in full or in larger increments at any time.
For those interested in our FLOWER program:
If you’ve never been a GreenStar Member-Owner before and you qualify for the FLOWER program, your first $4.00 payment will be paid by GreenStar (apply for FLOWER before you join the Co-op to take advantage of the free trial year option).
Member Benefits & Participation
Your investment and patronage allows GreenStar to offer member-owner benefits that make healthy options more affordable, including:
- 2% Member-Owner Discount
- 7½% Discount for Seniors over 65 and Differently-Abled Member-owners
- 10 on the 10th Member-Owner Appreciation Day – All Member-owners receive10% off every 10th of the month
- Eligibility to participate in our Member Labor Program for greater discounts
- Eligibility to receive a 15% discount if you qualify for our FLOWER Program for member-owners who currently receive certain government assistance benefits
- Receive semi-annual Co-op Deals coupon books
Besides receiving a discount, there are many other ways that member-owners benefit and can actively participate in the co-op:
- Vote in Council elections, on By-Laws changes and Member Referenda
- Submit a Member Referenda for a membership vote
- Run for a seat on GreenStar Council
- Serve on a Council committee
- Volunteer as a Superworker or Member Worker
- Attend semi-annual Member meetings
- Participate in Co-op social events and community projects
- Attend or teach classes in our Meeting Room
- Read or contribute to The GreenLeaf, our monthly newsletter
Page 6 of 7«StartPrev1234567NextEnd»
By Joe Romano,
They are sick that surfeit with too much, as they that starve with nothing.
— William Shakespeare
Ah, Spring! — the season where our coats and sweaters come off and we are forced to face the pounds so many of us have put on over the winter. For Americans as a nation, though, the long winter of our discontent has lasted for over 40 years. Americans are gaining weight, quickly and profoundly.