What is Membership?
Since the beginning, GreenStar's mission focused on making nutritious, whole food available to its members. But membership means more than just access to good, healthy food...
When you join the Co-op you become a Member-Owner of a locally-owned and cooperatively operated values-based business. We focus on the social and environmental impact GreenStar makes on our local and global community, as well as economic performance. We put our values first, and return all profits back to the Co-op or donate them to the community.
One Member – One Vote means your voice truly counts!
Like all consumer co-ops, GreenStar is owned and democratically run by the people who use the store. Unlike traditional corporations where the amount of a stockholder's investment determines his or her voting power, every member at GreenStar has equal voting rights. As a Member-Owner, you have an equal say in the future direction of GreenStar.
By investing and participating in your co-op, you're putting your values into action.
Through your Equity Share investment and patronage, GreenStar supports the health and well-being of our member-owners, our community and the planet by:
- Purchasing from local farmers and businesses
- Paying a livable wage
- Using clean energy and recycled office supplies
- Supporting organic agriculture and fair trade producers
- Offering health insurance to employees
- Donating to local charities and events
- Providing education on nutrition, health and sustainability
- Improving access to healthy food to those on limited budgets through the FLOWER program
Member Benefits & Participation
Your investment and patronage allows GreenStar to offer member-owner benefits that make healthy options more affordable, including:
- 2% Member-Owner Discount
- 7½% Discount for Seniors over 65 and Differently-Abled Member-owners
- 10 on the 10th Member-Owner Appreciation Day – All Member-owners receive10% off every 10th of the month
- Eligibility to participate in our Member Labor Program for greater discounts
- Eligibility to receive a 15% discount if you qualify for our FLOWER Program for member-owners who currently receive certain government assistance benefits
- Receive semi-annual Co-op Deals coupon books
Besides receiving a discount, there are many other ways that member-owners benefit and can actively participate in the co-op:
- Vote in Council elections, on By-Laws changes and Member Referenda
- Submit a Member Referenda for a membership vote
- Run for a seat on GreenStar Council
- Serve on a Council committee
- Volunteer as a Superworker or Member Worker
- Attend semi-annual Member meetings
- Participate in Co-op social events and community projects
- Attend or teach classes in our Meeting Room
- Read or contribute to The GreenLeaf, our monthly newsletter
Saturday, 30 April 2011 19:00By Kristie Snyder,
GreenStar member-owners gathered in the Co-op's warehouse property on the evening of April 22 for the Spring Annual Membership meeting. A new feeling was in the air, as members mingled over a light dinner, talked and traded with farmers and vendors, heard updates on the state of the Co-op and listened to Council candidates, then danced for hours to the sounds of Jorge T. Cuevas and the Caribe Jazz All Stars.
A separate Member Forum was held April 14 to give those members who wished to do so more time to voice their opinion. A summary of the topics raised there was presented at the Membership Meeting, with the opportunity for members to leave written feedback.
Page 6 of 7«StartPrev1234567NextEnd»
By Joe Romano,
‘It’s okay’ is a cosmic truth.
— Robert Bach, author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Maybe this article won’t be really good, maybe it will just be OK… still reading? Great! In return, every attempt will be made to provide you with a better-than-OK reading experience.
A recently published book follows the history of the word “OK” in American cultur...