What is a GreenStar Ombudsperson?
The Ombuds program was created to assist members of the GreenStar community (members, staff, vendors and others) in getting questions, concerns, suggestions, problems or complaints (involving the Co-op) addressed. We are guided by four main ethical principles: confidentiality, neutrality/impartiality, independence and informality.
What does a GreenStar Ombudsperson DO?
- Acts as an impartial and confidential “sounding board” for concerns
- Explains GreenStar policies/procedures
- Helps develop a range of options
- Refers to appropriate channels to address concerns
- Identifies perceived gaps, inconsistencies, problematic trends or policies
What does a GreenStar Ombudsperson NOT do?
- Serve as advocates for anyone in the GS community
- Establish policy
- Spend a disproportionate amount of time with any one person seeking help.
Guiding Principles CONFIDENTIALITY
The Ombudsperson holds all communications with those seeking assistance in strict confidence, and does not disclose confidential communications unless given permission to do so. The only exception to this privilege of confidentiality is where there appears to be imminent risk of serious harm.