This fresh and crunchy salad is a delicious way to kick off any meal. The dressing comes together quickly in a small jar with a lid, or can be whisked together in a large bowl. This salad can be made in advance. Mix the salad dressing up to three days ahead. Be sure to refrigerate. One day before your event, slice the apple and celery. Place these in a bowl filled with lemon water and refrigerate.
Recipe modified from Southern Living magazine
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 head romaine lettuce, stripped of tough outside leaves, roughly chopped (6 cups)
- 8 celery stalks, whites to leafy greens, thinly sliced (about 3 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. blue cheese, crumbled (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt, divided
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
Combine lettuce, celery, and apple in a large bowl. Reserve 3 tablespoons of blue cheese. Add remaining blue cheese to lettuce mixture.
Combine fresh lemon juice, red onion, mustard, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the pepper, and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt in a small jar with a lid. Place lid on jar, and shake well to combine, about 30 seconds.
Add olive oil to jar. Place lid on jar, and shake until emulsified. Pour dressing over salad, and toss to combine. Sprinkle salad with reserved blue cheese and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve immediately.