Cannot wait to try this recipe from one of my favorite sites, Nutrition Stripped. Enjoy!
BEET BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Recipe type: bakery
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 1 hour
A moist gluten free blueberry and beet muffin using pureed beets and fresh blueberries. GF
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups beet puree
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, for the tops of the muffins
- Roast about 3 large chopped beets (or 6 small chopped) at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until tender. Next, puree them in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using square parchment pieces of paper or muffin liners, line a 12 muffin baking tray and grease with coconut oil.
- In a food processor or blender (I use blender for this), combine coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, eggs, beet puree and gently blend until smooth (about 30 seconds). Then add almond milk, baking soda, sea salt, and cinnamon and stir together.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oat and brown rice flour, chia seeds. Pour your beet mixture into this large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Next, stir in the fresh cup of blueberries, gently folding in. The batter will be thick.
- Fill each muffin tin about ¾ of the way full and repeat until all muffins are filled. Sprinkle coconut sugar on top (the 2 tablespoons from the recipe list). Bake for 16 minutes or until a tester comes out clean from the center.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from the muffin tin, store at room temperature or in the freezer for 1 month.
Add ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips for an added sweet bonus.