Jazz up your muffin routine with the flavors of the tropics! These tender pastries are studded with sweet and tangy mangoes for a burst of juiciness. Coconut and spices give the muffins extra texture and a fragrance that will call everyone to the kitchen. Not only do these muffins go perfectly with morning coffee and juice, they also pack well — so save a few for lunches, too.
Total Time: 35 minutes; 15 minutes active
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp fresh lime zest
- 1 cup finely chopped mango
- 3 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and brown sugar and whisk to combine. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg, then whisk in the coconut oil, coconut milk, lime juice, and zest. Stir the coconut milk mixture into the flour mixture, just until moistened, then stir in the mango.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full, then sprinkle the tops with coconut and, if desired, turbinado sugar. Bake for 15–20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out with no wet batter clinging to it. Cool muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before tapping the pan to remove them and letting them finish cooling on the rack.
180 calories, 8 g. fat, 35 mg. cholesterol, 170 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 4 g. protein