Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes; 20 minutes active
When the weather is warm and the berries are ripe, try this bread pudding, with fresh fruit poured over the top after baking. The pudding is just as good cold, and even makes a great breakfast. You can use whatever bread you have on hand; white or whole wheat are both delicious.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 2 medium peaches, sliced (feel free to sub in whatever summer fruits you’ve got!)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Cube the bread and put it in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, eggs and honey. Add the zest, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk well. Pour over the bread and cover, let stand for half an hour to allow the mixture to soak the bread. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pudding comes out clean.
- While the pudding bakes, combine the berries and peaches in a medium bowl. Drizzle over the orange juice and sprinkle with sugar, and gently stir to coat. Let stand until the pudding is baked.
- Let the pudding cool for at least five minutes, then serve topped with fruit.
350 calories, 7 g. fat, 132 mg. cholesterol, 329 mg. sodium, 60 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 13 g. protein