Winter can be so tough on our skin! Since we find ourselves indoors a little more, I like to make time for self-care, especially for my skin. Follow my shopping list and steps below for a simple at home facial and treat yourself to clean, hydrated and glowing winter skin!
Here’s what you’ll need (all items can be found at Greenstar!):
- Gentle facial cleanser. I personally love the Coconut Oil Soap by Nutribiotic.
- Bath towel
- Cleansing essential oils. I personally use lavender and geranium. The new Veriditas Botanicals line is lovely!
- Face Mask. Because it’s winter, I like to do a very hydrating mask. In the summer, I might use something like a clay mask but in the winter, I want to use something like seaweed, rosewater, calendula or hyaluronic acid. There are lots of recipes online for hydrating facial masks. My personal favorite is incredibly simple:
- Kombu Facial Mask: Get 2 full sheets of Kombu from the bulk section. Gently soak them in warm water for 10-15 minutes. You want to get the exterior layer of salt off and soften it up. Take the seaweed and roughly chop it to add to the blender. You don’t want to scrape off the slimy layer–this is what we want on our skin!! Add the smallest amount of water that you can to get it to blend into a thick paste. Store covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Moisturizer or face oil
Here are the steps:
- Cleanse. Wash your face with warm water and your gentle cleanser of choice.
- Exfoliate. This can be done with a warm washcloth or if you have a exfoliating cloth, great! Gently rub your entire face and neck. Focus on areas of your face that have been particularly dry. Make sure to include your lips too!
- Steam. Add 1-2 drops of each essential oil you want to use to a pot as wide as your face. Boil water and add it to the pot. Using the bath towel, lean over the pot and cover your head with towel. If the steam is potent from the oil, either add more water or give yourself some air to breath! When your face starts to steam, wipe it with the towel and repeat 3-4 times. This should feel great!!
- Mask. Apply your mask evenly on your face and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wipe off clean with a warm washcloth when finished. If you really want to get into it, leave the mask on while you take a bath with bath salts or oils!
- Hydrate. Apply your favorite moisturizer or face oil.
Voila! Doing this once or twice a month will greatly improve your skin’s condition this winter. Enjoy!