Tex-Mex flavors spice up this crowd-pleaser that’s equally at home as a weeknight family-friendly meal or for dinner guests.
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 medium to large green peppers
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can of cooked beans, drained and rinsed (black, pinto, or black-eyed peas)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or smoked cheddar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 fresh or pickled jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cooked rice (optional)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp. paprika or smoked paprika
Preheat the oven to 375°F, and bring a stockpot of water to a boil.
Cut the green peppers in half through the stems, or leave whole and remove the tops. Remove seeds and thick inner ribs. Blanch peppers for 4 minutes. Remove and reserve.
In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans or black-eyed peas, cheese, salt, jalapeno, cilantro, salsa, and rice (if using).
Stuff each pepper or pepper half with an equal amount of the filling and place in a baking dish.
Add enough water to fill the bottom of the baking dish. Top each pepper or pepper half with a dab of butter and a pinch of paprika and bake 20 minutes.
Top with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole and serve with tortilla chips.
221 calories, 7 g fat, 19 mg cholesterol, 31 g carbohydrate, 6 g dietary fiber, 11 g protein, 386 mg sodium