Fuel up your trick-or-treaters (or fortify yourself for a long night of handing out candy!) with this tasty vegetarian chili. It’s a cinch to make. For a meaty version, cooked sausage or chicken can also be added.
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbspvegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces prepared salsa verde
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 (15-ounce) cans cooked beans (Great Northern or your choice)
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft not browned. Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, and oregano and sauté 1 minute more.
Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and salsa verde. Bring to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes. Add the beans and corn and simmer 10 minutes more, or until desired thickness. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with your favorite Southwestern toppings, such as lime juice, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, or tortilla chips.
321 calories, 7 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 782 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 14 g protein