This recipe was originally posted on nutritionstripped.com on March 5, 2013.
VEGGIE “SUSHI” ROLLS
A raw vegan veggie sushi filled with only avocado, fresh crunch vegetables and served with a soy-like dipping sauce.
Author: McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 organic raw sushi nori sheets
- 1 Avocado, mashed
- ¼-1/2 organic red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ¼ large organic carrot, cut into thin strips
- ¼ organic zucchini, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup of alfalfa sprouts (or any other sprouts you enjoy)
- Secret Sauce:
- 2-4 Tbs. of nutritional yeast (depends on your taste preference, I like a lot)
- 1 Tbs. of Dijon mustard (can swap out for any mustard you like; honey, hot, sweet, etc.)
- 1-2 tsp. of gluten free, low-sodium Tamari sauce (or Coconut Aminos)
- 1 Tbs./squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbs. of fresh organic cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- SECRET SAUCE //
- Mix all ingredients into a small mixing bowl, until a creamy “paste” is created, if you feel the texture is to thick you may add more liquid in the form of water or lemon/lime juice; if you feel the texture is too thin, add more nutritional yeast.
- ASSEMBLY //
- Lay the nori sheets on a flat surface, a counter top or cutting board.
- Cut, dice and mash the avocado into a separate bowl and save on the side for now.
- Pour and spread half of the Secret Sauce on the closest end of each nori sheet to you (bottom).
- Spread half of the mashed avocado at the closet end of each nori sheet (where you spread the Secret Sauce).
- Lay thinly sliced red bell peppers, carrots, and zucchini alongside and on top of the mashed avocado, parallel to the edge of the nori sheet (horizontally).
- Top with alfalfa sprouts.
- With a steady yet quick hand, take the edge with all the “filling” and roll/flip over onto the nori sheet just until you can no longer see the “filling”; continue this rolling action untill you reach the other end.
- Simply wet your index finger with water on the far edge until the nori sheet is damp (this creates a “glue” to hold it all together).
- Finish rolling and press the wet edge onto the rest of the roll to complete.
- Lightly dampen your hand with water and run alongside the whole roll to allow the complete nori roll to become slightly damp (this makes it easier to cut).
- Repeat above for the second nori sheet.
- ADDITIONAL //
- You may either slice these rolls into small bite size pieces with a very sharp knife or you may eat as 2 long rolls (which I normally do, especially for a quicker meal).
- Top with sesame seeds (optional).
- May use the reserved Secret Sauce for dipping.
- May serve this along side with a large salad and fermented veggies!
Experiment with adding in your own ingredients as well! Try adding brown rice, quinoa, other vegetables, or proteins like chicken, fish, etc., whatever floats your sushi boat (ha).